Watch Siegfried Fight A Dragon In Clip From Masters Of Cinema's DIE NIBELUNGEN
On 29 October, Eureka Entertainment's prestigious Masters of Cinema series is set to release a new restoration of Fritz Lang's epic two-part fantasy, Die Nibelungen, on double Blu-ray and double DVD in the UK. Renowned for its innovative effects work and breathtaking production design, this hallucinatory five-hour work was adapted from the same legend that inspired Wagner's Ring Cycle operas and has itself inspired everything from the Star Wars saga to The Lord Of The Rings trilogy.
In Part One, Siegfried, the film's eponymous hero acquires the power of invincibility after slaying a dragon and bathing in the creature's blood. Later, an alliance through marriage between the hero and the royal clan of the Nibelungen turns treacherous, with Siegfried's sole weakness exploited. In Part Two, Kriemhilds Rache [Kriemhild's Revenge], Siegfried's widow travels to the remote land of the Huns to wed the monstrous Attila, and thereby enlist his forces in an act of vengeance that culminates in massacre, conflagration, and, under the auspices of Lang, one of the most exhilarating and terrifying end-sequences in all of cinema.
Adapted from the myth that was also the basis for Wagner's Ring cycle of operas, Lang's epic offers its own startling expressionistic power - a summit of the director's artistry. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Die Nibelungen in a spectacular new HD restoration, released as a 2 x DVD set & a 2 x Blu-ray set in the UK on 29 October 2012.SPECIAL FEATURES:
• Long-awaited expert HD restoration by the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung, Germany
• Immaculately presented in the film's original frame rates and aspect ratio, in 1080p on the Blu-ray
• Newly translated optional English subtitles for the original German intertitles
• An hour-long documentary: The Heritage of Die Nibelungen
• Illustrated booklet featuring the words of Lang, rare archival imagery, and more